EU Blue Card, Visa und Work Permit in Germany

EU Blue Card, Visa and Residence Permit

Depending of your country of origin, you might need a visa when travelling to Germany.

An official paper that allows you to enter a country. To apply for a visa, contact your local embassy or consulate for more precise information.

  • Countries that do not need to issue a Visa: Citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland
  • Countries that need a Visa for longer stays than 90 days (or 180 days if they have an special agreements)


The fee for all types of visas is EUR 60 although there can be exemptions. For more information about visa regulations:

More information about Visa Regulations

An official paper that allows you to stay in a country for study or work purposes. This documentation is issued by the German immigrationauthorities and you will have to apply for it three months in advance.

Residence Permits

There are several categories: residence permit, EU Blue Card, researchers, self-employed person,permanent EU residence permit.

EU Blue Card in Germany

The EU Blue Card is a special visa for skilled professionals from abroad that want to work in Germany. Professionals that find a job with a gross annual salary of at least EUR 50,800 are eligible for the EU Blue Card, although in the fields of mathematics, IT, science, engineering and doctors, the amount is EUR 39,624.

The EU Blue Card is valid for a maximum of four years and applicants must have a B1 level certificate in the German language. Please check all the requirements in the following link.

Blue Card to work in the EU More Info about the Blue Card

Student Visa

If you come from a non-EU country, you will require a visa to study in Germany.

To apply to a German university, you will need to collect the following documentation:

  • A valid passport
  • Medical Insurance
  • Proof of financial status to cover your expenses during your studies
  • A letter of acceptance from the university
  • Some universities will require you to pass a German language test

Work Permit

Unless you are a citizen from EU/EEA or Switzerland, you will need a residence permit if you want to work in Germany. EU citizens and citizens from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland have access to the German labour market without restrictions, and can also work on a self-employed basis. They just need a valid passport or identity card.

As Germany’s objective is to attract qualified professionals, especially in the fields of science (biologists, chemists and physicists), engineering and IT, you might be better placed to get a residence permit if you have this academic background.

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and the Republic of Korea can apply for their residence permit for work purposes after entering Germany without first requiring a visa. Other countries must obtain a visa before travelling to Germany.

Once the application is approved by the German government, your embassy will issue a residence permit in the form of a visa that includes a working authorisation.

For futher information

Hannover – Immigration Law and Citizenship Law (Department)

Zentrale Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Hannover
Teams Ausländer-/Asylrecht

Adress: Maschstraße 17, 30169 Hannover
Telephone: 0511 – 616-0
Fax: 0511 – 616-22905

Opening hours:
Mon and Wed from 8:00 to 12:00
Thurs 8:00 to 12:00 / 13:00 to 17:30
By appointment only

How to get there?

Ausländerangelegenheiten und Staatsangehörigkeit

Adress: Leinstraße 14, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: 0511 168-0
Fax: 0511 168-41190

Opening hours:
By appointment only

How to get there?

Immigration Law and Citizenship Law (Department)


Address: Fallersleber Straße 1, 38100 Braunschweig
Telephone: 0531/470-6008
Online appointments:

Immigration Office Braunschweig


How to get there?

Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office)

Address: Neues Rathaus – Hiroshimaplatz 1-4, 37083 Göttingen
Telephone: 0551 400-2168

Telephone appointments only Mondays and Tuesdays from 14:00 to 15:30

How to get there?

Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office)

Address: Stadthaus – Natruper-Tor-Wall 2, 49076 Osnabrück

Opening hours:
Mon and Fri from 8:00 to 12:00
Tues from 8:00 to 16:00
Thurs from 8:00 to 17:30
Closed on Wed

Online appointments:

Immigration Office Osnabrück

How to get there?

Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office)

Address: Pferdemarkt 14, 26121 Oldenburg
Telephone: 0441 235-3853
Fax: 0441 235-3181

Bus stop: Pferdemarkt

Online appointments:

Immigration Office Oldenburg

How to get there?

Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office)

Address: Porschestraße 49, 38409 Wolfsburg
Telephone: 05361 281234
Fax: 05361 281500

Opening hours:
Mon, Tues 8:30-16:30
Wed, Fri 8:30-12:00
Thurs 8:30-17:30

Immigration Office Wolfsburg

How to get there?

Registration in your city

This is the first step that you will have to do when arriving in the new city. You will have to register your new place of residence in person during your first week. Each district has its own registration office. Do not forget to bring your passport or national identity card with you. The Registration office will give you a confirmation document (Anmeldung). Please keep it with you as you will have to use it on several occasions in the near future. In some offices you can arrange your appointment online or by telephone in advance. If you have children, please bring your family record book.